Human Resources (Library Management Series)
Human resources is more than discipline. If done correctly, it’s the fulcrum in which your organization will succeed or fail. Let’s learn how to invest in your best asset. We will also cover how to manage your peers in a small organization or department.
- Hiring, training, reviewing, and, sometimes, terminating employees can be a challenge. Learn some tips on how to make it a little easier.
- Performance planning is the best way to communicate employ goals. Find out how to develop and monitor a plan.
- Accountability and teamwork are important elements of a productive staff. What is the manager’s role in those areas?
- The manager’s job is NOT to make staff happy. Nor is it to make them miserable. What’s to be done?
Presenter: Tom Lawrence has been the Library Director of the Poughkeepsie Public Library District since 1995. During his tenure with the Library District, he has supervised various fundraising activities, including annual appeals and two successful bond referenda. Prior to his work in Poughkeepsie, Tom worked with the library systems in Connecticut and coordinated the merger of two systems into the Western Connecticut Library Council. He also has professional experience as a library master planner and building consultant. Tom holds a BA from the College of St. Rose in Albany and an MLS from the University of Oklahoma.
- Monday, June 18, 2018
- 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Tom Lawrence
- Middletown Library Service Center, 786 South Main St., Middletown
- DLD Workshop
Free. Registration is required.
To register for a DLD workshop or webinar, you must be a current staff member, Friend, or Board Member/Trustee of a library in CT. If you are an unemployed librarian in CT, please contact Steve Cauffman (firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-704-2223) to register.
If you cannot attend a workshop you have registered for, please remember to cancel at least 3 days in advance so we can give your spot to someone else. You can cancel via the link in your confirmation email, or by contacting Steve Cauffman email@example.com | (860) 704-2223.
Those who miss (without cancelling) 3 events within a 6-month period will be placed on the waiting list when registering for future events. Be sure to sign in when you arrive for any workshop.
Inclement Weather Policy
For all in-person workshops offered by the CT State Library, Division of Library Development:
If the public schools in the town where the workshop is to be held close due to weather, the workshop will be canceled. If the schools have a delay, the workshop will go on as scheduled.
For the most up-to-date information, call us at 860-704-2200.