Are you new to the storytime world? Does the thought of reading, singing, and dancing in front of a group of children make your head spin? Join Allison Murphy, a Children’s Librarian at Wallingford Public Library with 15 years of experience in the storytime trenches. You’ll learn the basics of how to plan and present storytimes for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. Find out about book recommendations, song and fingerplay ideas, how to use puppets, and much more. We’ll also discuss how to deliver early literacy messages in your programs. A handout will be provided with lists of books, songs, websites, and blog recommendations. This program is intended for those who are new to the storytime world, or those who may want to see what it’s all about.
- Introductions and program overview
- Why do we have storytime?
- Different types of storytime
- Babies (0-12 months)
- Toddlers (1 yo - 3 yo)
- Preschoolers (3 yo - 5 yo)
- Choosing books for storytime
- Songs, rhymes, fingerplays, movement
- Flannel board stories and puppets
- Props that are great to have
- Parachute, bubble machine, iPod, Ipod doc, projector/large paper for lyrics, stretchy band, shaker eggs, scarves, instruments, multiple board book sets
- How to do each of the three types of storytime
- Setting up the room for storytime
- Crowd control - parents and children!
- Early literacy messages
- Abbreviated example of a storytime
- Questions, follow-up
This is a free, in-person workshop taking place at the Middletown Library Service Center.
- Friday, November 30, 2018
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Middletown Library Service Center, 786 South Main St., Middletown
- DLD Workshop
To register for a DLD workshop or webinar, you must be a current staff member, Friend, or Board Member/Trustee of a library in CT. If you are an unemployed librarian in CT, please contact Gail Hurley (firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-704-2222) to register.
If you cannot attend a workshop you have registered for, please remember to cancel at least 3 days in advance so we can give your spot to someone else. You can cancel via the link in your confirmation email, or by contacting Gail Hurley email@example.com | (860) 704-2222.
Those who miss (without cancelling) 3 events within a 6-month period will be placed on the waiting list when registering for future events. Be sure to sign in when you arrive for any workshop.
Inclement Weather Policy
For all in-person workshops offered by the CT State Library, Division of Library Development:
If the public schools in the town where the workshop is to be held close due to weather, the workshop will be canceled. If the schools have a delay, the workshop will go on as scheduled.
For the most up-to-date information, call us at 860-704-2200.